Upgrade Arvados 1.3 to 2.1

Hello,

I have an arvbox instance v1.3. I want to update it to v2.1 but keep the existing data - users, groups, projects and collections.

So I have two question:

1. Does arvbox has an upgrading procedure? I saw it in more recent versions but not in v1.3
  2. Does Arvados have export/import functionality for users, projects, collections? Arv-copy can copy collection between Arvadoses but without projects and users

Hi @ksastan, welcome!

So, unfortunately, being only intended for development and demo instances, arvbox does not have a supported upgrade path.

You should probably invest some time into setting up a more permanent Arvados installation, since you seem to be relying on it.

The migration approach would be something like this:

1. set up a new installation of Arvados 2.1. Once you have confirmed it is configured properly, shut down all the services.
  2. dump the arvados_development database from your arvbox instance using arvbox shell, pg_dump, and docker cp to retrieve the dump file
  3. in the new installation, using psql, drop the empty arvados_production database and load the arvbox database dump into its place.
  4. on the new API server, go to /var/www/arvados/current and run bundle exec rake db:migrate to migrate the database.
  5. Copy the contents of the arvbox directories /var/lib/arvados-arvbox/keep0 and /var/lib/arvados-arvbox/keep1 to the backend volume of your new keepstore.
  6. restart arvados

Curii may also be able to provide additional help, contact info@curii.com.

Hi @tetron!

Thank you for your answer.
As a result, the latest Arvados doesn’t work with the database data from Arvados v1.3.
API server and workbench don’t start.